CBD oil for dogs in the UK – introduction
CBD oil for dogs in the UK: CBD oil has been increasingly recognised across the globe for its numerous health benefits, not just for humans but for pets too. As a result, pet owners have become more interested in the use of CBD oil to alleviate various health issues in their furry friends. Despite CBD oil being quite popular, there is still a need for pet owners to be familiar with the product before administering it to their pets.
In this article, we will provide some useful tips for pet owners in the UK about the usage of CBD oil for dogs, including what to look for when purchasing, administration methods, and potential side effects to be aware of.
Understanding the benefits of CBD oil for dogs in the UK
The benefits of CBD oil for dogs are numerous. It has been found to help with anxiety, seizures, pain relief, and even cancer. CBD oil can also help to improve a dog’s overall mood, energy levels, and appetite. If your dog is struggling with any of these issues, CBD oil can be a potential solution.
In the UK, the use of CBD oil for dogs is legal, but it is important to buy it from reputable sources that sell products that have been third-party tested. It is also important to start with a low dose and gradually increase it to ensure that your dog tolerates the oil well. When administering the oil, it is recommended to add it to your dog’s food or to drop it directly into their mouth.
One of the reasons why CBD oil is attractive to pet owners is that it has little to no side effects. Unlike pharmaceutical drugs, CBD oil is a natural remedy and has not been linked with any serious adverse reactions. However, it is essential to consult with your veterinarian before giving your dog CBD oil, especially if your dog is on any medication.
When choosing a CBD oil product for your dog in the UK, it is important to read the labels carefully to know the ingredients, the level of CBD, and whether it contains any additives. Look for products that have been manufactured using high-quality organic hemp grown in the UK or Europe. Additionally, choose products that are free from synthetic preservatives, colours, and flavours.
Choosing the right CBD oil for your dog in the UK
1. Check the THC content
THC is the psychoactive ingredient in cannabis that can make people and animals feel high. While CBD does not have this effect, some CBD oils can contain trace amounts of THC. Ensure that the CBD oil you are purchasing has a THC content of less than 0.2% as this is the legal limit in the UK.
2. Look for organic products
Organic CBD oil is generally safer for pets as it is free from pesticides and contaminants that can affect their health. To be sure that the CBD oil you are buying is organic, look for certification from a recognised organic body.
3. Choose full-spectrum CBD oil
Full-spectrum CBD oil contains all the beneficial cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids found in the hemp plant. This means that the oil can potentially provide more benefits for your dog’s health. However, check the THC content as full-spectrum CBD oil may contain more THC than CBD isolate or broad-spectrum products.
4. Read the label carefully
The label on the product should provide information on the ingredients, the CBD concentration, and the recommended dosage. You should also check for any other ingredients that may not be suitable for your dog or that they may be allergic to.
5. CBD oil extraction method
The method of extracting CBD oil can affect its quality. CO2 extraction is the safest and most effective method of extracting CBD oil. Avoid products that use solvents or chemicals to extract the CBD oil as these may leave traces of harmful chemicals.
6. Check for third-party lab testing
Reputable CBD oil companies will have their products tested by third-party laboratories to ensure their safety and potency. Look for a certificate of analysis on the product or the company’s website.
7. Choose brands with a good reputation
Research the brand before purchasing their products. Look for reviews and testimonials from other dog owners to see if the product worked for their pets. Choose a brand with a good reputation for quality, safety, and customer service.
How to administer CBD oil to your dog
Here are seven tips for administering CBD oil to dogs in the UK:
1. Consult with a veterinarian: Before administering CBD oil to your dog, it is crucial to consult with a veterinarian. A veterinarian can check your dog’s health history and recommend the right dosage and frequency for your pet. CBD oil may interact with certain medications your dog is taking, so it’s important to inform your vet of all medications.
2. Choose high-quality CBD oil: Ensure that the CBD oil you purchase is of high quality. Check the product label for information on its ingredients and potency. Look for products that are organic and free of additives and heavy metals. Always buy from reputable retailers.
3. Start with a low dose: It is important to start with a low dose of CBD oil and gradually increase it until you find the right dosage that works for your dog. This can help reduce the risk of side effects. A typical dose for dogs is 0.2 to 0.5 mg per kg of body weight per day.
4. Mix the oil with food: CBD oil can be mixed with your dog’s food to make it more palatable. Mix the oil with some yogurt, canned pumpkin, or peanut butter. This can help your dog feel more comfortable when taking the oil.
5. Monitor your dog’s behavior: Keep an eye on your pet’s behavior after administering CBD oil. Observe how your dog responds to the dosage and monitor for any changes in behavior. It can take a week or two to notice the effects.
6. Store the oil properly: Store the CBD oil in a cool, dry place away from light. Ensure that the bottle is tightly sealed to avoid contamination. Check the expiration date before administering the oil.
7. Be patient: CBD oil may take some time to work, so be patient. It can take up to a month for your dog to experience the full benefits of CBD oil. Consistency is key, so make sure you are administering the oil daily and monitoring your dog’s behaviour regularly.
Potential risks and side effects to be aware of when using cbd oil for dogs in the UK
One of the main potential risks of using CBD oil for dogs is the possibility of drug interactions. CBD oil may interact with some medications, especially those that have a grapefruit warning. If your dog is on medication, it’s crucial to consult with a veterinarian before administering CBD oil to avoid any dangerous side effects.
Another potential side effect of CBD oil for dogs is drowsiness. If your dog has a previous history of being sleepy after receiving medication, administering CBD oil can cause your pet to feel drowsy, lethargic, or sedated. This may be a concern if your dog needs to stay alert, such as when they’re undergoing training or participating in a competition.
It’s also important to note that CBD oil may cause mild digestive issues in dogs. Some dogs may experience an upset stomach, diarrhea or nausea. While it’s normal for dogs to experience some digestive issues, severe or prolonged symptoms warrant an immediate visit to the veterinarian.
CBD oil has also been known to lower blood pressure, which may be problematic for dogs who are already taking medication to control their blood pressure. If your dog is on medication for hypertension, it’s crucial to consult with a veterinarian before using CBD oil.
Another potential risk of using CBD oil for dogs is liver damage. Several studies have shown that CBD may alter liver enzymes in dogs, indicating potential liver damage. However, this has only been observed in high doses of CBD oil. While online research may be useful in determining the appropriate dosage, it’s important to speak with a veterinarian before administering CBD oil to your pet.
In conclusion, CBD oil for dogs in the UK is becoming increasingly popular as pet owners look for alternative treatments to ease their furry friends’ pain and anxiety. It’s crucial to keep in mind that not all CBD oils are created equal, and it’s vital to do your research and buy from a reputable supplier. Our seven tips include starting with a low dosage, choosing a full-spectrum CBD oil, and consulting with a veterinarian before starting any new treatment. By following these best practices, pet owners can give their dogs the best chance at experiencing the benefits of CBD oil while ensuring their health and safety.
Expert recommendation for CBD oil dosage calculator UK
If you’re searching for a high quality, 100% natural and pure, pesticide-free, preservatives-free and non-GMO Full Spectrum 10% CBD Oil, we have the perfect product for you.
At Favoroot, we believe that you and your loved ones deserve only the best – that’s why our range of Premium CBD Oil is:
🌱heavy metals free
We use black glass bottles with natural bamboo dripper caps for the most elegant and natural look. The beautiful design and the high quality make Favoroot CBD Oil an ideal gift for your loved ones!
Best of luck in your journey to wellness! If you have any further questions about CBD oil for dogs in the UK, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re here to help.